Monday, December 30, 2013

Toilet Papering



There is a Missionary Mom's Club in my ward.
I have wanted to toilet paper EACH of their homes everyday for the past 3 years.
Costco would need to be my paper supplier as we have 33 missionaries currently serving from my ward.

My son is 21....and a half....and hasn't been on a mission because.... he has an addiction.

When he was 18, I wondered why he wasn't excited to fill out his papers. Then he turned 19 and all of his friends and cousins were leaving...... but not him. When he turned 20, the prophet made his historic announcement that 18 year olds could serve missions [ouch] and now he is 21....and a half. 

I have not endured this trial well. Addiction was not my goal for him. I have felt like there is a party going on and I wasn't invited.  

When I was a young mom I had all the answers on how to be a perfect parent....but now....I only know how to pray hard.

President Packer said, "There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother."

Jesus tells a parable of the Unrighteous Judge, where there is a judge who didn't care about God or man. A widow came to the judge and wanted help...but the judge didn't care about the woman. The woman persisted. The judge finally gave in only because he was tired of her petitions. The judge said, "Yet because this widow troubeleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me."
Then Jesus said, "And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him....?"

God wearied of my petitions. My prayers plus the help of a patient bishop have created conditions for a miracle.----- My son has been assigned a mission and his call comes in THIS week! 


My cup runneth over.

Now I feel like toilet papering my own home... in JOY!!!






 


4 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for your post. My son is turning 18 in a few weeks...he is graduating this year. He is an addict....wanting to overcome but can't. He has been an addict since 11. What I feel like he needs is some hope from someone who has overcome....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith has power. I will pray for you BOTH! The one thing that helped my son the most was attending the 12 step groups. It was hard to go the first time but it seemed to help him get a foothold on sobriety. I also attend 12 step groups to help me get a foothold on sanity. :)

      Delete
  2. Really late to this post! I am so happy for you. I know exactly how you feel about wanting to TP all those happy moms. Or wanting to hide when there is yet another meeting about the home being a "mini MTC". My son has no desire anymore to go on a mission...turned his frustration into anger at the church. Now he is drinking etc. I am praying got a miracle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain.
      Let's just use all that toilet paper to wipe our tears.
      I modern-day miracles do happen. My son leaves to Germany in 7 days!
      Have faith!

      Delete