Monday, July 20, 2015

My Zucchini Revelation



Not everyone can claim that their mother has had a face-lift 
and that their father has had an eye-lid lift, a nose job and hair transplants.
But I can.
 At our last family reunion a month ago, we had a live auction where there was a fierce bid battle for the donated Botox injections. 

I know what you are thinking--that I have a vain family.
 Maybe.
Or, I could have just been born into a mud-ugly family and we are just trying to be accepted into society.  :-)

Either way, it has left me wondering where the line is between taking good care of yourself and being preoccupied with yourself. 

 One day (as I was pondering this), I was standing in my vegetable garden and I noticed a new bright orange flower on a zucchini plant for the first time.  It was big, bold and beautiful and I wondered why the zucchini couldn't keep it's glowing flower for a longer time. This is when I received a 2-part revelation. :-)

 I call it my "Zucchini Revelation".

 The message I received was that if the plant just focused on having a beautiful flower, then it wouldn't be able to produce the amazing fruit to be made into zucchini bread, relish, casseroles.....and so many other yummy things to nourish our families.....As the flower dims, the squash begins to grow. ---- The message to me is that if I spend too much time and money on my flower then my fruits of service and love towards others will be neglected and small. 

I learned that I needed to find the balance between flower and fruit.

The second part of the revelation that I understood was to allow each person to find their own balance between flower and fruit and that it wasn't my job to judge them.

The most beautiful women that I know are those that reflect light--like stars, sparkles in the snow, and drops of dew in the morning light.  These women reflect the Lord's light. In D&C 50:24 it says “That which is of God is light; and he that received light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light growth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.”   In D&C 115:5 it says, “Verily I say unto you all: Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations.” We can reflect light by finding and fulfilling our purpose in life and serving the Lord and others. 

Whether we are in full bloom or ready to harvest, let's do our thing in front of the mirror to sparkle up and then let's turn around and ask God, "Who can I nourish today?" (and some days this may be ourselves.)

 Women doing God's work are dazzling.

 
"....on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience. " Luke 8:15

For more info on healthy body image: http://www.beautyredefined.net/

Bonus Material!



Beautiful Zucchini Bread 
by Daisy
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 tsp soda
3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
3 tsp grated orange
3 t vanilla
chocolate chips to taste
Mix and bake at 325 for 1 hour.


Take Care, Daisy

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing your insights and helping me remember that it's okay if I'm not the most beautiful flower, as long as I'm also trying to bring forth good fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete